Support if you are feeling hurt by posts, comments, photos, tags or other forms of ongoing harassment and you are not sure how to stop it.
Reporting , Blocking and Untagging
The best way to report abusive content on Facebook is by using the Report link that shows up near any post, photo or comment.
To report a post:
Click the Down arrowhead icon in the top right of the post
Click Report post or Report photo
Select the option that best describes the issue and follow the on-screen instructions. For feeling bullied, this is usually 'I don't think this should be on Facebook' then tap continue
Select the best fit from the next list of options, this is up to you but a good fit might be 'This humiliates me or someone I know'
The next screen lets you submit your report to Facebook for review.
From here you could also change your mind and block or unfriend the person or even reach out to one of your Facebook friends for help about how to deal with the post
- Click on the photo or video to expand it
- Hover over the photo or video and click Options in the bottom-right corner
- Click Report Photo for photos or Report Video for videos
- Select the option that best describes the issue and follow the on-screen instructions
To report a comment:
Go to the comment you want to report.
Click the 'x' to the right of the comment to hide it
Once it has been hidden you will have three options below where the comment was. 'unhide' ' 'block' or report.
Click report (if this is a comment in a group, you can choose whether to report it to FB or to a group admin)
To report a Page:
- Go to the Page you want to report
- Click the three dots below the Page's cover photo
- Select Report Page
- Choose the option that best describes the issue and follow the on-screen instructions
If you can't access the Page you want to report, consider asking a friend to report it.
If you do not have a facebook account, you can still report bullying to Facebook online
Follow the steps in the form.
You will still need to include:
the date the content was posted
links to what you are reporting (so you will need a friend or someone else you trust to help you with this)
A description to help the safety team understand the situation
You can also choose to include your name and screenshots (but these are optional)
To stop the person from continuing to contact you or post on your timeline, follow up your report by blocking them
When you block someone, they won't be able to see things that you post on your timeline or tag you in posts.
If you were friends, blocking someone will also unfriend them.
To block someone:
- Click the 'Question Mark' at the top right of any Facebook page.
- Click Privacy Shortcuts
- Click How do I stop someone from bothering me?
- Enter the name of the person you want to block and click Block
- Select the specific person you want to block from the list that appears and click Block again
People will not be notified when you block them.
If you can't find someone this way, try going to the person's profile and selecting Block from the 'Three Dots' menu on their cover photo.
On Facebook you can choose whether posts you're tagged in appear on your Timeline using 'Timeline Review'. [more]
Keep in mind that posts you're tagged in appear straight away on the timeline of the person that made the post and can also show up in News Feed, search and other places on Facebook.
When people you’re not friends with tag you in a post, they automatically go to Timeline review.
If you'd also like to review tags by friends, you can turn on Timeline review for tags from anyone. To turn on Timeline review:
Click the downwards arrowhead icon at the top right of any Facebook page and select Settings
In the left column, click Timeline and Tagging
Look for the setting Review posts friends tag you in before they appear on your Timeline? and click Edit to the far right
Select Enabled from the dropdown menu [endmore]
If you have been tagged in a photo or post and want to remove the tag, follow the steps below:
- Go to yourACTIVITY LOG
- Click Photos in the left column
- Click to check the box to the left of the posts you'd like to remove a tag from
- Click Report/Remove Tags at the top of the page
- Click Untag Photos to confirm