Netsafe is an organisation that can provide information and support as well as free and confidential advice if someone has shared your nudes online.
- advise you on the steps that can be taken to resolve or help the situation,
- Look into complaints about harmful online content
- Work with social media platforms, website hosts, internet service providers and others to remove harmful posts, comments, messages or other content
- Get in touch with the person or people that have published or sent the harmful content to try and resolve the issue-but they won’t contact them unless you say its OK
- Let you know about your legal options and the possible outcome if you want to take your complaint to the district court (if Netsafe can’t help you reach a resolution)
You can make a report through their website https://www.netsafe.org.nz/report/ or you can free phone them seven days a week on 0508 NETSAFE. They’re open between 8am and 8pm on weekdays, and between 9am and 5pm on weekends and public holidays.
You can make the report yourself, or someone can do it on your behalf.
When you phone them, they will ask you questions so they can understand what’s going on- like how long it has been happening, who is involved and any other information to help them to evaluate your report.If you have evidence like screenshots or links to content and messages, it’s helpful to be able to send these through.
When you make a report online, you will be asked to select from a range of multi choice questions to give information about the situation and the support you (or the person you are making the report for) is receiving, give your contact information and also a ‘short summary’ of what happened.
You will also be asked how concerned you are for your safety.
Whether you make your report by phone or using the online form, you will be given a report number that will create a ‘thread’ of emails to keep all of the communication together.If you make your report online, you will then receive an email confirming your report has been received and that one of the team will be in touch once they have evaluated it using the contact details you gave in the form.
For more detailed information about Netsafe, check out their website www.netsafe.org.nz or our breakdown on the Sticks ‘n Stones website