If you feel comfortable, let them know that you are finding their messaging too much and would like them to stop.
Update your Privacy Settings
This could be a good time to update your privacy setting so that you can control who can message you.
You could also go through your friends or contacts lists to make sure that you are happy for everyone there to be able to message you and see what you are doing.
Use the Reporting and Blocking Tools
If the messages are worrying you or are making you feel hurt or scared, you can report them to Netsafe or to the platform themselves.
Screenshots are really helpful if you do want to report someone.
To find out how to use the reporting tools and how to Block people so that they can no longer message you on the different platforms, click the icons below.
If this is making you feel upset or vulnerable, reaching out to share what is going on with someone in your life can stop it from becoming overwhelming.
Take some time to chat to someone that you trust about what has been going on and how it has been making you feel. Make sure you ask if they have time to talk so that you are not interrupted or they are not in a rush (or even in a bad head space themselves).
They might have experienced something similar that they can tell you about. They might also have a different perspective or point of view that might help you look at the situation differently. Talking it through (even if you do this via text or messaging) can help you work out your own solution or work out what is really getting to you.
Take a Break
If you don’t feel comfortable or ok with taking action right now, try to take some time away from your device or Social Media.
This could help to take your mind off of the issue and stop the person from being able to contact you.
If it is through a group chat, Instagram gives you the option to ‘temporarily disable your account’ so that you can take a break without losing your photos and contacts.
How to Temporarily Disable your account on Instagram
- Log into instagram.com from a mobile browser or computer. You can’t temporarily disable your account from within the Instagram app.
- Tap or click the person icon in the top right and then select Edit Profile.
- Scroll down, then tap or click Temporarily disable my account in the bottom right.
- Select an option from the drop-down menu next to Why are you disabling your account? and re-enter your password. The option to disable your account will only appear after you’ve selected a reason from the menu.
- Tap or click Temporarily Disable Account.
If it is through a group on Facebook, they let you Deactivate your account so you can do the same thing and give yourself some space.
How to deactivate your FB account
- Click the downward arrow at the top right of any Facebook page.
- Select “Settings”
- Click “Security” in the left column.
- Choose “Deactivate your account”, then follow the steps to confirm.
Otherwise, you could take some time offline for a bit to spend time in person with your friends and family.
Have some good times and stop dwelling on the confusion and hurt around what has been happening online.